Dow's Lake, Hartwell's Lock and Hog's Back, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(Formerly Dow's Great Swamp)



April 6, 2008:

Dow's Lake was created by Rideau Canal workers under the engineering management of
Colonel John By and his Royal Sappers and Miners. One of the most difficult areas of 
canal construction between Ottawa and Kingston, Ontario, was the stretch between the 
Ottawa River (6 locks in step where the Rideau River empties into the Ottawa River) and 
what is now called Hog's Back, just south of Carleton University.

When Colonel By was surveying to find the easiest route to build the canal between
the Ottawa River and Hog's Back, there were two apparent options. The first was to
join the Ottawa River to Hog's Back by cutting the canal from the Ottawa (or Grand) 
River, above the Chaudiere Falls and along Preston Street to where the boathouse 
is today on Dow's Lake.

It was decided that an easier route would be to start the Canal at Entrance Bay,
which is on the Ottawa River just east of the Parliament Buildings, a dam was built
at the end of Preston Street to raise the water level of Dow's Great Swamp and at
the same time to drain the swamp / creek which existed along what is now Preston
Street. The dam was called the St. Louis Dam after Jean-Baptiste St. Louis who was
one of the pioneer French Canadians to settle in Bytown.

May 18, 2008:
About 1830, John McTaggart sketched Dow's Great Swamp. If you look closely at his drawing
below, you can see one of the first paddle-wheelers on the lake. This steam powered boat
had the wheel on the port side of the boat. There was probably also a twin wheel on the
starboard side.

Photo Source: Ottawa: City of Big Ears, by Robert Haig. Dow's Great Swamp in 1832
John McTaggart's classic book is available in digital format. It's called Three years in Canada: an account of the actual state of the country in 1826-7-8, Comprehending its resources, productions, improvements and capabilities, and including sketches of the state of society, advice to emigrants, &c. MacTaggart, John, 1791- c. 1830. (McTaggart) 362 pages, (London : H. Colburn, 1829.) There is a surveying-type map at the National Map Collection of Library and Archives Canada showing the original swamp along Preston Street between Dow's Lake and the Ottawa River. Map Number NMC 0016824 from the National Map Collection. Preston Street is now the home of Little Italy in Ottawa. The following two sketches show Hog's Back in 1832. The top sketch was done by William Clegg. The next sketch was by Thomas Burrowes. Photo Source: Ottawa: City of Big Ears, by Robert Haig. Hog's Back in 1832 Map 1, below, is taken from Dr. Bruce Elliott's book Nepean: The City Beyond. This map shows Dow's Lake in 1847. By 1847 there are some settlers shown around the lake and extending past Hartwell Locks as far as Hog's Back. April 30, 2020:
Photo source: Carleton Saga, by Harry and Olive Walker, page 117. The house was where the Tory (Science) Building is today. House of Donald Kennedy at Carleton University
Most of the original canal workers have moved on by 1847. For example, the 1842 Nepean Census shows my GGGrandgather, Patrick Christopher, as a squatter on 6 acres with his family. He kept a couple of cows and a pig. Within a year or so he had moved, possibly at the urging of the Ordnance Department, and purchased 100 acres on the Stagecoach Road in Osgoode Township. The squatters built rough shanties on the crown land adjacent to the Rideau Canal and theoretically paid rent to the Ordnance Department.
Map 1 Dow's Lake area, settlement by 1847 Map Source: Bruce Elliott, Nepean, The City Beyond, page 23 The Lebrush surname shown on the map is actually Labreche - see posting dated April 22, 2011, by David Dugas Dow's Lake in 1847
The following early French surnames are shown on the map: Chauvin, Joanisse, Albert, Pudvain (Potvin), Cire (Cyr), LeBrush (maybe Labrecque?) and Pelletier. Other early French Canadien pioneers can be seen here. The remaining names are almost all Irish canal workers: Shea, O'Neil, Garland, Crone, Close, Burns, Donald Kennedy (maybe a Scot), O'Rourke / Rourke, Burrows?, Burgess, Nevins / Evans, Gunn, Fagan, Manning / Manion, McCabe, Welsh / Walsh and Mulligan. See Mulligan, below, dated March 8, 2010. These families were all living on Ordnance Land but gradually migrated south, mostly to the Manotick Station Road and South Gloucester area where the Catholic families attended the newly built St. Mary's Church, beginning in 1848 and now called Our Lady of the Visitation. The Carleton University "Quad" is about where Donald Kennedy's Barn is shown on the map. Kennedy was a well-known surveyor. The O-Train crosses under the canal, through Cyr's property and then crosses the Rideau River to the right on the above map. Here is a contemporary map of Dow's Lake to Hog's Back. (Source: Google Maps) This Google map also allows us to click on "Aerial Photo" to see a photograph of a frozen Dow's Lake. In the fall and spring of the year, when the canal water level has been lowered, a causeway is visible running across the lake towards the pavilion. This is the original road bed which led out through the experimental farm to Hog's Back and beyond. ... Al
April 28, 2008: Here are some records relating to Hog's Back. Between 1829 and about 1850, the Irish and French Catholic families living at Hog's Back had their marriages, deaths and baptisms recorded at Notre Dame Church on Sussex Drive: Source: Drouin records at ancestry.ca Aug 22, 1831 After three publications of banns, marriage of Joseph Potvin to Phoebe Labreche both from Hogsback Witnesses: Joseph Labreche and Pierre Potvin 25 Sep 1831 Baptism of Terence, aged 7 days, son to Dennis McGee and Alice Hughes from Hogsback Witnesses: Thomas Davy / Davey and Bridget Keane Dennis McGee was one of four McGee brothers who came from County Armagh, Ireland, to work at building the Rideau Canal. The brothers all settled at South Gloucester (Bank Street near Mitch Owens Drive) by the 1840's. Baptism of James, born May 27, 1851 of the marriage of William Walsh and Mary Fitzgerald of Prince Albert's Island (Hogs Back where Carleton University sits) Witnesses: Joseph Valiquette & Mary Driscoll
Hog's Back Falls at low water Hog's Back Falls
Gorgeous Gorge (go ahead, say it three times, fast) Hog's Back Gorge

May 3, 2008: This weekend is the start of the annual Tulip Festival and Celebration of Ideas in Ottawa. Part of the tulip festival takes place at Dow's Lake. What was once a great swampland became a lake within the city of Ottawa. At the time of the 1847 map above, the surrounding land was owned by the Ordnance Department. It is now owned by the National Capital Commission and is surrounded by parkland. Some of the best tulip beds will be seen here.
June 29, 2008: Hartwell's Lock is located half-way between Dow's Lake and Hog's Back. It is located across the road to thwest of Carleton University. The following photograph shows a war canoe and a skiff at Dow's Lake side of the lock in 1910. Canoeing was, and still can be, a genteel recreation. The women are dressed in skirts and the men are wearing ties.
Photo Source: Library and Archives, Canada, reprinted in On a Sunday Afternoon: Classic Boats on the Rideau Canal, page 23 Canoes at Hartwell's Lock, 1910


July 3, 2008:
Photo Source: Library and Archives, Canada, reprinted in On a Sunday Afternoon: Classic Boats on the Rideau Canal, page 48 Dow's Lake Pavilion, 1905. First home of the Rideau Canoe Club, established in 1902 The houses are located at the end of Preston Street. This area was cleared of houses by the 1950's and it was then called Commissioners Park, one of the best areas for local baseball games at the time. The Pavilion is still going strong. The baseball diamonds are long gone. Dow's Lake Pavilion, 1905

July 10, 2008:
Photo Source: On a Sunday Afternoon: Classic Boats on the Rideau Canal, page 67. The yacht Rideau Prowler at Dow's Lake in 1986. This photo may have been shot from the docks at the Pavilion. The highrise building at the upper left would be the Energy, Mines and Resources Building (now part of the Environment Canada). Boat owned by Bert Clouthier; photo by Frank Phelan. Rideau Prowler in 1986

February 4, 2010: LeBrush / LaBreche surname at Dow's Lake Hello: Great page on Dow's Lake there on Bytown or Bust. You mention that Joseph Potvin and Phoebe Labreche married around 1839. Then you have a map of Dow's Lake with the LeBrush family on there. Could I suggest that it is Labreche not Labreque? I am interested in finding out who that family is. I think the couple from Hogsback is Joseph Dugas Labreche and Genevieve Vivarais, parents of Phoebe Labreche. But I could not find their marriage in the Ontario or Quebec Drouin records at all. There were some Dugas Labreches in Cumberland around that time in the 1820s and on, Felix Dugas Labreche and Henriette Picard. I think there was also a Joseph Dugas Labreche there too. Anyway if anybody knows where that family came from, I would certainly be interested. They seem to be pioneers of the area. Steve Wall London ON P.S. My grandmother was a Deziel Labreche from Ottawa.
March 8, 2010: Watch a You Tube Video of skating on Dow's Lake in the winter. And another video of Dow's Lake during Winterlude. And "A Peek at Dow's Lake" in the summer.
Thanks to Taylor Kennedy for the following information about John Mulligan who ran a tavern at Hartwell's Locks in the 1840's. Some of his property is shown to the south-west of Hartwell's Locks. His tavern was located just east of the locks on property where Carleton University is located today. There is a campus pub today called "Hartwell's". Here's one for you ... Taylor OTTAWA CITIZENJUNE 23, 1928 In The Forties (1840) There Was A Hotel Near Hartwells Was run by John Mulligan. Building has been razed. How the face of the landscape changes and people and places come and go. Back in the forties, there was a long hotel on the left-hand side of the Prescott Highway not far from Hartwells locks that was kept by John Mulligan. John Mulligan at other times was a blacksmith and ran a smithy at Black Rapids, on the Nepean side. A son of this John Mulligan was also a blacksmith and kept a smithy near Hogs Back, on the Nepean side. The building where the elder Mulligan kept his hotel has long been razed. Mr. Samuel Mulligan, of Manotick Station, is a grandson of John Mulligan, the pioneer.


April 24, 2010: The Rideau River and the Rideau Canal both flow through the City of Ottawa. Their geographic relationship can be seen on the following map. The Rideau River flows to Rideau Falls on the Ottawa River from Hog's Back on the map. The river is east of the canal and runs, more or less, parallel to it. Hog's back is shown as Prince of Wales Falls at the bottom of the map. There is a lockstation there. The Rideau Canal was built to the west of the Rideau River. Completed in 1832, it empties into the Ottawa River beside the Parliament Buildings in downtown Ottawa. The headwaters for the River and Canal system are in the Big Rideau Lake, halfway between Ottawa and Kingston. From the Big Rideau, the canal flows south to Kingston and north to Ottawa.
Map Source, below: Extract from Topographic Map of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Scale 1:50,000 produced by the Surveys and Mapping Branch of the Department of Energy, Mines and Resources, 1984 Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1984

May 5, 2010:
Thanks to Allen Craig who has sent in the following map: Map Source, below: The source info is as follows Sheet 31 G 5 ; scale 1 mile to 1" or 1:63,360. Surveyed by Geographical Section G. S., original survey 1923. Revised 1935. Published by the Geographical Section, General Staff, Department of National Defense. Reprinted 1940 Dow's Lake to Hogs Back Map, 1935

April 22, 2011: Thank you for this interesting page on Hogs back and Dows Lake. I am a Dugas from Ottawa, though our paternal family came from Cornwall, Ontario. I just wanted to point out that the Lebrush family mentioned living at hogs back in 1847 is very likely a Labreche dit Dugas as Steve Wall pointed out. In the book where the map originated we find the following quote: Joseph Labreche also called Dugas and called Lebrush on the map was the son of settlers at Nouvelle Longueuil and had himself been a day labrourer in the Argenteuil seigeury in 1814. He lived in Clarence township in Russell County from 1823 to 1825 and in 1829 we find him working on the canal near Bytown page 24 - The city beyond: a history of Nepean, birthplace of Canada's capital, 1792-1990, by Bruce Elliott This particular Dugas-Labreche family line descends from Jean Ducas (Dugas) dit Labreche who immigrated to Quebec before 1708 from St. Pierre, Oloron in Bearn, near Pau, in Southwest France; quite close to the Spanish border. His sons were voyageurs who travelled the Ottawa River to Nipigon and Makinac Island trading furs. Dugas descendents are quite numerous in Montreal, Ottawa and points in between today. I have forwarded the information on Joseph Labreche to a family genealogist for confirmation but there were many Dugas Labreche in Argenteuil in the early 1800s. Thanks again for this interesting page. Sincerely, David Dugas ___________________________ April 24, 2011: We have set up a new web page for the LaBreche / Dugas / Lebrush family.
July 24, 2019: Text Block Below is from page 164 of National Capital Region Heritage Keywords Hog's Back, Lieutenant Colonel John By Hogs Back text hogsback pic
New July 19, 2020:
Hogs Back Western Ordnance Land in 1863
Roman Catholic Irish and French Canadians at Hogs Back, 1823-1853
6 Sep 1829 After one publication of banns, marriage of Robert Cole from the Little Nation, (Petite Nation), LC, to Anne White from the Hogs Back James Sheridan and Michael Coyle Angus McDonell, P.P. 41 30 Jan 1830 After one publication of banns, marriage of Michael Hare and Bridget Quirk, both of Hogs Back Mathew Corcoran and Thomas Murphy Angus McDonell, P.P. 75 22 Aug 1831 After three publications of banns, marriage of Joseph Potvin to Phebe Labreche both from Hogs back Joseph Labreche and Peter Potvin M. Lalor, P. 77 8 Sep 1831 Baptism of Marie Louise, born 21 June last of the lawful marriage of Joseph Decarry / Descarie ? dit Derome and Marie Louise Fleurant dit St. Amour of Hogs back Joseph Bourgeois and Marie Louise Decarry / Decaire dite Derome Paisley, priest 78 11 Sep 1831 Baptism of Bridget, 11 days old, daughter to Michael Daly and Mary Daly / Daley of Hogs back Michael Moran and Catherine Summers M. Lalor, P. 78 11 Sep 1831 Baptism of Thomas, 9 days old, son to Daniel Smith and Mary Walsh residing on the Rideau Thomas Wall and Mary Wall M. Lalor, P. 79 19 Sep 1831 Baptism of John, 8 days old, son to Timothy Steele and Maria Quill (Quail or Quirk?) of Hogs back Cornelius Steele and Maria Steele M. Lalor, P. 79 20 Sep 1831 Baptism of Bridget, 4 days old, daughter to Maurice Landrigan and Nancy Phelan / Whelan from Corktown Michael Tracy and Ellen Phelan M. Lalor, P. 80 25 Sep 1831 Baptism of Terence, aged 7 days, son to Dennis McGee and Alice Hughes from Hogsback Thomas Davy and Bridget Keane M. Lalor, P. 81 6 Oct 1831 Baptism of Maria, 4 days old, daughter to Francois Renaud and Josephte Maller of Hogs back Charles Baker and Angelica Labreche M. Lalor, P. 84 24 Oct 1831 After three publication of banns, marriage of Pierre Minault from Hogs back and Marguerite Cyr from Sandy Hill, Bytown Peter Beard, Francois Cyr and Marie Louise Minault M. Lalor, P. 85 30 Oct 1831 Baptism of Ellen, 20 days old, lawful daughter of Richard O'Donnell and Mary Regan of Hogs back John McQuigan and Grace McGuigan M. Lalor, P. 94 25 Dec 1831 Baptism of Rose, 1 mo. old, daughter to John Kelley and Mary Dragglan from Hogs back P. Cahill and Mary Carroll M. Lalor, P. 95 1 Jan 1832 Baptism of Edward, 10 days old, son to Daniel Murphy and Elizabeth Byrnes / Burns from Hogs back Michael Kennedy and Margaret Kennedy M. Lalor, P. 101 19 Feb 1832 Baptism of Anna, 5 wks. old, daughter to Thomas Cassidy and Judith Fitzsimmons of Hogs back. Edward Crea (McCrea?)and Bridget Roonan M. Lalor, P. 103 4 Mar 1832 Baptism of Mary-Ann, 1 wk. Old. Daughter to Michael Kennedy and Margaret Shea from Hogs back Daniel Murphy and Marcy Darcy M. Lalor, P. 107 6 May 1832 Baptism of Sarah, 1 day old, daughter to Francis Morin and Josephte Saunier of Hogs back John Geaukeau and wife M. Lalor, P. 119 21 Aug 1832 Baptism of Elizabeth, 9 days old, daughter of William Moore and Anna Cacien of Hogs back John Crone and Elizabeth Gunn M. Lalor, P. 126 19 Oct 1832 Baptism of Ellen, 4 wks. old, daughter to Miles McBride and Mary Byrnes / Burns of Hogs back Andy / Andrew Hosey and Catherine Clary M. Lalor, P. 6 Oct 1833 Marriage of Thomas Davy and Elizabeth Cusick of Hogs back Michael Stackpole & Catherine Barry 29 Dec 1833 Bytown Burial of James Cuddy / Cuddihey who was killed by the fall of a tree on the 27th inst. At Hogs back. He was a native of Callan, County Kilkenny, Ireland July 16, 2020: 9 Jan 1836 Baptism of Mary Ann, aged 2 yrs. 2 mos., and Louise, aged 6 mos., daughters of Saralie Penwick and Mary McTanen from Hogsback Thomas McTiernan & Ann McTeirnen/ Louisa Michael McTiernen and Sylvan Jacolate 27 Feb 1836 Baptism of Thomas, 3 wks. old, child of Michael Tiernan (McTiernan?) and Susannah Ayot ? of Hogs back Patrick Teirnan & Ann Teirnan (McTiernan or Tierney?) 3 Oct 1837 (Prot?) Reception of the abjuration and reconciliation to the Church of Sarah Loru, widow of Alexander Morton John McCarthy, Tailor (occ) & Mrs. Croan / Crone of Hogs back (see next) 3 Oct 1837 After one proclamation of banns, marriage of Peter Manning / Manion? to Sara Loru, widow of Alexander Morton John McCarthy, Tailor, occ, & Mrs. Croan / Crone of Hogs back (see prev) 24 Sep 1838 After one publication of banns, marriage of Patrick Duggan of this place to Elizabeth Gunn of Hogs back Thomas Keogh, Betsy Wellington & others 14 Aug 1840 Burial in the R.C. cemetery (Sandy Hill) of Patrick Campbell of Hogs back who died the 13th, aged about 80 yrs. Honore Danis & John King 19 Dec 1842 Baptism of Henriette, born 16 Dec of the marriage of Benjamin Seguin and Catherine Bertrand of Hogs Back Jean Leclere & Henriette Seguin 1 Jan 1843 Burial of Jane who died yesterday, aged 3 yrs., daughter of Charles Fagan, labourer, occ, and Jane Cumming of Hogs back 25 Jan 1843 Conditional baptism of Thomas, aged 2 days, son of Vital Demers and Victoire Thomas dit Tranchemontagne of Hogs Back Henri Albert & Margaret Reddy 3 Jul 1843 After three publications of banns, marriage of Francis Nevin of Osgoode, (also spelled Evans) son of the late Patrick Nevins and the late Margaret Russell of County Meath in Ireland, to Mary Corrigan of Hogs back, daughter of John Corrigan and the late Elizabeth Connor of County Westmeath Thomas Daley, William Kelly & Ellen Connor yyy Osgoode 4 Jul 1843 After three publications of banns, marriage of Peter Manning / Manion? of Hogs back, widower of Sally Martin of County Galway, and Mary Toohey of Hogs back, adult daughter of Patrick Toohey and Sarah Duvear of County Mayo William Kelly, Robert Boyle, Mary Ann Burke Sep 1843 Baptism of Michael, aged 5 mos., son of Peter Manning / Manion? and Mary Fosher ? of Hogs back Michael Riley & Ann Muldoney 15 Oct 1843 Baptism of George, aged 3 wks., son of Edward Craig and Elizabeth McGoughan (McGuigan?) of Hogs back Marc Morioth & Margaret McCarthy 17 Oct 1843 ttt After the publication of one bann, marriage of Denis Stackpole, adult son of the late William Stackpole and Mary Barry of Gloucester, to Ellen O'Connor, resident of Hogs back and adult daughter of John O'Connor and Margaret Queenlan / Quinlan? of County Tipperary (Ireland) Patrick Burns, Mary Stackpole, Olivier Paul, etc. 13 Nov 1843 After three publications of banns, marriage of Mathew Brennan of Hogs back to Margaret McGarry of Bytown Patrick Hughes, James & Thomas Brennan, etc. 29 Nov 1843 Baptism of Gaspard, born yesterday of the marriage of Gaspard Pelletier of Hogs back and Felonise Durand Joseph Potvin & Philothee Labreche 29 Apr 1844 Baptism of Felix, born 3 days ago of the marriage of Augustin Lebrun and Rose Seguin of Hogs back Jean Noel Seguin & Genevieve Thomas dite Tranchemontagne 27 May 1844 After two publications of banns, marriage of John Kilfoyle of Osgoode, adult son of Patrick Kilfoil (from Tipperary) and Margaret Sary, to Maria McCabe, minor daughter of Patrick McCabe and Anna Carroll of Hogs back John Davy, Bridget Craig, Anne O'Donnell & Patrick McCabe (all living at Hog's Back, I think) 3 Jun 1844 After three publications of banns, marriage of John Keely / Kealey or Kelly?, widower of Maria Doulay / Dooley? and adult son of James Kealy and Mary Kennedy of County Kilkenny in Ireland and now farmers at Black Rapids, Gloucester, Upper Canada, to Margaret Ronan of Hogs back, adult daughter of Mathew Ronan and Margaret Brennan of County Westmeath in Ireland Bidget McGane / McCann?, sister-in-law of the bride, & Thomas Cerey / Carey 12 Jun 1844 Baptism of Thomas, born 31 May last of the marriage of William Mitchell (1851 Nepean Census?) and Maria Murphy of Hogs back Thomas Whythe / White? & Maria Anna Farrell 29 Sep 1844 Burial of an unknown person who died at the home of Joseph Labreche of Hogs back Joseph Labreche & Gaspard Pelletier 20 Oct 1844 Baptism of Michael, born 29 September of the marriage of Charles Fagan and Jane Cummings of Hogs back Thomas Daley & Bridget McGinn 1 Dec 1844 Baptism of Thomas, born 17 November of the marriage of Michael Ready / Reddy? and Margaret Winn of Hogs back James Lepton / Lipton & Julie Ryan 7 Jan 1845 After three publications of banns, marriage of Leon Seguin, adult son of Noel Seguin of Hogs back and the late Marie Rose Mallet, to Adelaide Clouthier, minor daughter of the late Augustin Clouthier and Ursule Lariviere of Bytown Toussaint Clouthier & David Bourgeois 14 Oct 1846 Baptism of Daniel, born the 9th at Hogs back, son of Michael Driscoll and Ann Cotter (McCarthy?) Florence Driscoll & Ellen McCarthy 28 Dec 1846 Baptism of Marie Reine, born th day before of the marriage of Joseph Potvin and Felicite Labreche of Hogsback Jean Robert & Henriette Labreche 13 Jan 1847 After three publications of banns, marriage of Noel Seguin, minor son of Jean Noel Seguin and Marie Louise Mallet of Hogs back, to Praxede Clouthier, minor daughter of Louis Clothier / Clouthier and Marie Maillet of Bytown Noel Seguin and Louis Clouthier, fathers of the couple 19 Jan 1847 Funeral service for Patrick Gunn who died at Hogs back on the 17th Thomas Daley & John Duggan 25 Jan 1847 After three publications of banns, marriage of Felix Charron of Hogs back, adult son of the late Joseph Charron and the late Francoise Bigras of St. Martin, Montreal, LC, to Adelphine Dorion, minor daughter of Louis Dorion dit St. Andre and the late Genevieve Goulet Augustin Charron, brother of the groom, & Olivier Dorion, brother of the bride 15 Feb 1847 After three publications of banns, marriage of Joseph Galipeau of Hogs back, widower of Exupere Tourville, to Henriette Labreche Dugas, minor daughter of Joseph Labreche Dugas and Genevieve Vivarais of Hogs back Gaspard Pelletier and Joseph Labreche, father of the bride 4 Apr 1847 Baptism of Ellen, born at Hogs back on 15 March, daughter of Joseph Neville / Nevins? and Ann Kenney Ellen Ronan & Martin Burns 23 May 1847 Baptism of Joseph, born 17 March of the marriage of Hyacinthe St. Louis and Theotiste Forget of Hogs back Joseph Groulx & Theotiste Groux Jul 1847 Funeral service for William Michael, aged 3 yrs. who died at Hogs back, son of William Mitchell and Mary Murphy William Byr (Byrne or Burns or Byers?) & Thomas Kehoe 26 Feb 1848 Baptism of Ross, born the 18th of the marriage of Michael McLaughlin and Ann Milet / Mallette? of Hogs back Miles & Mary Burke 7 Jul 1848 Baptism of Michael Samuel, born 17 June of the marriage of William Mitchell and Mary Murphy of Hogs back J. Doherty & Mary McCarthy 6 Aug 1848 Baptism of Lucie, born 30 July of the marriage of Jean Baptiste Potvin and Marie Reine Albert of Hogs back Augustin & Lucie Roi / Roy 20 Dec 1848 Baptism of Thomas, born the 17th, illegitimate son of Felonise Pelletier of Hogs back Hyacinthe St. Louis and Theotiste Forget 24 Dec 1848 Baptism of Nicholas, born 10 December, son of Joseph Nevins and Ann Kenny of Hogs back William Byrne / Burns (ML, Kilkenny?) & Johanna Doyle (married) Feb 1851 After two publications of banns, marriage of William James Burns of Hogs back, son of William Burns and Judy / Johanna Doyle (to Nepean), to Mary Ann Gunn of Hogs back, adult daughter of Patrick Gunn and Ann McGuire Thomas Teanan / Tierney? & Ellen Ronan 8 Mar 1851 Funeral service for Elizabeth Kioiss Crone who died 6 March, wife of John Crane of Hogs back James Doyle & William Harlihie Herlihy or Hurley 27 May 1851 Baptism of James, born 11 May of the marriage of William Walsh and Mary Fitzgerald of Prince Albert's Island (Hogs Back where Carleton University sits) Joseph Valiquette & Mary Driscoll 18 Sep 1851 Baptism of Lawrence, born 5 September of the marriage of Joseph Nevins and Anne Kenny of Hogs back John Byrnes / Burns & Mary Tierney (is this the John Burns who disappeared at age 19? ... John, call home!) 11 Apr 1852 Baptism of William John, born 26 March, son of William Kilby and Margaret McNally of Hogs back John McClermon & Nancy McNally 20 Jul 1852 After three publications of banns, marriage of Francois Xavier Renaud, minor son of the late Jean B. Renaud and Josephte St. Amour of Hogs back, parish of Bytown, to Philomene Pelletier, minor daughter of Gaspard Pelletier and the late Felonise Durand of Bytown Philibert Bastien, Marie Rivard & others 15 Jan 1853 Baptism of Thomas, born 1 September, illegitmate son of Felonise Pelletier of Hogs back Antoine Belleville & his wife 14 Jun 1853 Baptism of Bridget, born 10 June of the marriage of Patrick Whelan and Catherine Mcgrath of Hogs back Margaret Mcgrath E-mail Steve Wall, Taylor Kennedy, Allen Craig, David Dugas and Al Lewis

Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa, Canada area -- Dows Lake and Hog's Back