to Canada in 1828
also Patrick BLANEY - ML# 90
Note: There are five McBride men on the 1829 McCabe List
They are all from County Monaghan and are likely related.
(Patrick ML#241, Joseph #242, James #561, Miles #575 and Miles #581)
July 7, 2016:
Note: There are two men named Miles McBride on the February 1829 McCabe List -- they were both from County Monaghan, Ireland
but lived in different parishes. One could sign his name and the other could not.
Here are the two men as shown on the McCabe List at ancestry.ca:
ML# 575 in Bruce Elliott's Book
ML# 581 in Bruce Elliott's Book
February 27, 2003:
Thanks to Ellen Paul for contributing her research to this page.
I was on your site last night and found one of my relatives, James McBride.
Would you know where I can get more information on the Stratford and McBride
families of Carleton, Nepean. Is there someone actively looking for the Stratford's?
I believe that John Stratford would be on the McCabe list but everytime I tried to
access this list I failed to bring it up.
I have been working with the McBride group for sometime I have lots of information
I could also contribute. Miles McBride, James 's father came to this area in 1828
from Ireland. He had 9 children, his first wife was Mary Burns and he later married
Mary Madden-Shechy / (Sheedy?). I have accounted for 4 of the children but I am still
searching for the other 5.
Anne-Marie Ibell (new e-mail address December 19, 2003)
Also posted on February 27, 2003:
(From Anne-Marie Ibell, who also supplied the photograph above))
Descendants of Miles McBride
Generation No. 1
1. MILES1 MCBRIDE was born Abt. 1793 in Carrickmaduke, County Monaghan, Ireland,
and died December 26, 1890 in Ontario, Canada. He married (1) MARY ANN BURNS Abt.
1820 in Ireland. She was born Abt. 1800 in Ireland, and died Abt. 1848 in Ontario,
Canada. He married (2) MARY MADDEN - SHECHY November 12, 1853 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Children of MILES MCBRIDE and MARY BURNS are:
i. TERENCE2 MCBRIDE, b. 1829, Ireland; d. December 26, 1896.
2. ii. JAMES MCBRIDE, b. 1830, Ontario, Canada; d. 1880.
iii. ELLEN MCBRIDE, b. 1834, Ontario, Canada.
iv. MALE MCBRIDE, b. Abt. 1836, Ontario, Canada.
v. MALE MCBRIDE, b. Abt. 1838, Ontario, Canada.
3. vi. JOHN MCBRIDE, b. 1841, Ontario, Canada.
vii. PATRICK MCBRIDE, b. 1842, Ontario, Canada.(see posting dated April 27, 2005)
4. viii. JOSEPH MCBRIDE, b. 1845, Ontario, Canada; d. August 2, 1901, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
ix. FRANCIS MCBRIDE, b. 1847, Ontario, Canada.
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES2 MCBRIDE (MILES1) was born 1830 in Ontario, Canada, and died 1880. He married
ANNIE STRATFORD, daughter of JOHN STRATFORD and ?. She was born 1830 in Ontario, Canada,
and died 1914.
Children of JAMES MCBRIDE and ANNIE STRATFORD are:
i. MARY3 MCBRIDE, b. 1855.
ii. CATHERINE MCBRIDE, b. 1857.
iii. JOHN MCBRIDE, b. 1859.
iv. PARTRICK MCBRIDE, b. 1861.
v. JAMES MCBRIDE, b. 1863.
5. vi. FRANCES MCBRIDE, b. 1865; d. April 16, 1939.
vii. JOSEPH MCBRIDE, b. 1867.
viii. ELISABETH MCBRIDE, b. 1869.
6. ix. ELLEN MCBRIDE, b. 1871; d. 1937.
x. THOMAS MCBRIDE, b. 1873.
3. JOHN2 MCBRIDE (MILES1) was born 1841 in Ontario, Canada. He married MARY MCGUIRE.
She was born 1841, and died January 25, 1910 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Children of JOHN MCBRIDE and MARY MCGUIRE are:
i. PATRICK J.3 MCBRIDE, b. 1865.
ii. JAMES MCBRIDE, b. 1867; d. November 18, 1907, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
iii. JOHN MCBRIDE, b. 1869; d. April 9, 1902, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; m. MARY GEVIT?.
7. iv. THOMAS JOSEPH MCBRIDE, b. 1873; d. September 3, 1937, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
v. MARY ANN MCBRIDE, b. 1877.
vi. WILLIAM F. MCBRIDE, b. 1881.
4. JOSEPH2 MCBRIDE (MILES1) was born 1845 in Ontario, Canada, and died August 2, 1901
in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. He married MARY-ANN O'BOYLE July 20, 1875 in Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada, daughter of JOHN O'BOYLE and CHRISTIANA MCKAY. She was born February 2, 1858
in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and died April 1, 1932 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Children of JOSEPH MCBRIDE and MARY-ANN O'BOYLE are:
8. i. MARY ELLEN3 MCBRIDE, b. November 14, 1878, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. February 1,
1955, Los Angeles, California, USA.
9. ii. ROSE THERESA MCBRIDE, b. April 26, 1881, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. January 23,
1922, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
10. iii. WILLIAM CHRISTOPHER MCBRIDE, b. December 24, 1883, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada;
d. February 1, 1965, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Civic Hospital.
11. iv. AGNES MCBRIDE, b. October 3, 1886, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. November 27, 1952,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Civic Hospital.
12. v. EMMA ELIZABETH MCBRIDE, b. September 12, 1889, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. March 3,
1953, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
vi. FLORENCE MCBRIDE, b. 1890; d. 1890, 6 wks old.
13. vii. PERCY JOSEPH MCBRIDE, b. October 4, 1892, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. October 6,
1981, Knowlton, Quebec, Canada.
viii. CHARLES LEO MCBRIDE, b. April 19, 1895; d. October 8, 1916.
Generation No. 3
5. FRANCES3 MCBRIDE (JAMES2, MILES1) was born 1865, and died April 16, 1939. He married
SILVIRA MCCARTHY. She was born 1861, and died 1951.
Children of FRANCES MCBRIDE and SILVIRA MCCARTHY are:
i. JAMES4 MCBRIDE, b. 1894; d. 1944.
ii. HAROLD MCBRIDE, b. 1897; d. October 29, 1916, France.
iii. DANIEL MCBRIDE, b. 1899; d. 1960.
iv. NELLIE JUSTINE MCBRIDE, b. 1901; d. November 6, 1920.
6. ELLEN3 MCBRIDE (JAMES2, MILES1) was born 1871, and died 1937. She married JAMES QUINN.
He was born 1859, and died 1939.
Child of ELLEN MCBRIDE and JAMES QUINN is:
i. MICHAEL4 QUINN, b. 1897; d. 1971; m. EDNA FORAN; b. 1900; d. 1982.
7. THOMAS JOSEPH3 MCBRIDE (JOHN2, MILES1) was born 1873, and died September 3, 1937 in
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. He married ANNIE CONWAY. She was born Abt. 1875 in Ireland,
and died August 13, 1971 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Children of THOMAS MCBRIDE and ANNIE CONWAY are:
i. EVELYN4 MCBRIDE, m. A. MCFARLANE.
ii. FLORENCE MCBRIDE, b. 1905; d. March 21, 1975, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; m.
ALBERT BAKER; b. 1903; d. September 2, 1963, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
14. iii. EILEEN MCBRIDE, b. October 24, 1908; d. July 4, 1998, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
15. iv. THOMAS CONWAY MCBRIDE, b. January 7, 1911, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d.
October 2, 1964, Whittier, California @ 53 Years old.
v. JOHN RUSSELL MCBRIDE, b. December 2, 1912, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. December 9,
1912, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
vi. MARGARET ELIZABETH MCBRIDE, b. 1914, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. December 9, 1921,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada @ 7 Yrs. old.
16. vii. DOROTHY MCBRIDE, b. Abt. 1915.
8. MARY ELLEN3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born November 14, 1878 in Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada, and died February 1, 1955 in Los Angeles, California, USA. She married FREDERICK
ALLAN BOOTH September 11, 1902 in New York, USA, son of JOSEPH BOOTH and ANN ORMEROD / ORMROD.
He was born November 14, 1875 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and died January 16, 1938 in
Los Angeles, California, USA.
Children of MARY MCBRIDE and FREDERICK BOOTH are:
17. i. GRANT JOSEPH4 BOOTH, b. January 24, 1904, Boston, Mass. USA; d. October 7, 1966,
Los Angeles, California, USA.
18. ii. D'ARCY FREDERICK BOOTH, b. January 11, 1907, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. June 27,
1960, La Canada, California.
19. iii. DALTON SECORD BOOTH, b. January 9, 1912, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. August 1,
1981, La Canada, California, USA.
20. iv. PATRICIA (MARY) BOOTH, b. August 29, 1914, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. December 9,
1970, Palm Springs, CA.
9. ROSE THERESA3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born April 26, 1881 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,
and died January 23, 1922 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. She married DANIEL ALEXANDER GRANT
May 30, 1898 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, son of ? and ?. He was born 1876 in ?, and died
February 5, 1951 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada @75 Years.
Child of ROSE MCBRIDE and DANIEL GRANT is:
21. i. PEARL JANE4 GRANT, b. Abt. 1896, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. Abt. 1960, Princess
Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada.
10. WILLIAM CHRISTOPHER3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born December 24, 1883 in Ottawa,
Ontario, Canada, and died February 1, 1965 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Civic Hospital.
He married MILDRED CORA ARMSTRONG (DAISY) October 6, 1914 in St Patrick's Church, Ottawa,(on Kent Street)
Ontario, Canada, daughter of JOHN ARMSTRONG and JANE KINSGLEY. She was born July 23,
1888 in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, Euphemia Township, and died April 26, 1978 in Canada,
Ontario, Ottawa, Extendicare Nursing Home.
Children of WILLIAM MCBRIDE and MILDRED (DAISY) are:
22. i. MELBA MARY4 MCBRIDE
23. ii. HELENA MAY MCBRIDE
iii. CHARLES LEO (CHARLIE) MCBRIDE
24. iv. CECILE FRANCES MCBRIDE
11. AGNES3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born October 3, 1886 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,
and died November 27, 1952 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Civic Hospital. She married WILLIAM
CHRISTOPHER IRISH 1909, son of WILLIAM IRISH and MARGARET MORIN / Moran ?. He was born Abt. 1887 in
Aylmer, Quebec, Canada, and died April 8, 1955 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Children of AGNES MCBRIDE and WILLIAM IRISH are:
25. i. FRANK4 IRISH, b. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. Los Angeles, California, USA.
26. ii. LEONARD IRISH, b. August 23, 1921, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. July 27, 1992,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
27. iii. PAUL IRISH, b. March 13, 1910, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada; d. July 21, 1987,
Anaheim, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
28. iv. CARL IRISH, b. August 23, 1916, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; d. August 23, 1989,
Temple City, California, USA.
12. EMMA ELIZABETH3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born September 12, 1889 in Ottawa,
Ontario, Canada, and died March 3, 1953 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. She married
DALTON MCCARTHY July 7, 1913 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, son of JOHN MCCARTHY and
MARY SHEENEY. He was born July 2, 1888 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and died June 18,
1969 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.
Children of EMMA MCBRIDE and DALTON MCCARTHY are:
i. ANN4 MCCARTHY.
29. ii. DENNIS MCCARTHY.
30. iii. VELMA MCCARTHY
31. iv. JOHN MCCARTHY.
32. v. CHARLES LEO MCCARTHY
33. vi. JOAN MCCARTHY.
34. vii. ELIZABETH MCCARTHY,
13. PERCY JOSEPH3 MCBRIDE (JOSEPH2, MILES1) was born October 4, 1892 in Ottawa,
Ontario, Canada, and died October 6, 1981 in Knowlton, Quebec, Canada. He married
MARGARET ALICE HAMBLIN January 29, 1916, daughter of PERCY HAMBLIN and MARY BUCHANAN.
She was born May 21, 1893 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and died March 17, 1971 in
Auld Kirk Cemetery, Almonte, Ontario, Canada.
Child of PERCY MCBRIDE and MARGARET HAMBLIN is:
35. i. CHARLOTTE AGNES4 MCBRIDE.
also posted on February 27, 2003:
The following research from the records of Notre Dame church has been provided
by Ellen Paul.
Al, here are the McBride entries I found in N.D. There was no mention of
Mary Burns' burial although it obviously must have occurred between 1843 and
19 Oct 1832 Baptism of Ellen, 4 wks. old, daughter to Miles McBride and
Mary Byrnes of Hogsback Sponsors: Andy Hosey and Catherine Clary
6 Jan 1835 Baptism of Thomas, aged 6 wks., son of Miles McBride and
Mary Byrnes. Sponsors: Thomas Tiernan & Bridget Vischel
10 Nov 1837 Baptism of John, born the 15th Sept of the marriage of Miles
McBride and Mary Burns. Sponsors: William Burnett & wife
1 Feb 1840 Baptism of Patrick, born 1 November last of the marriage of
Miles McBride and Mary Burns. Sponsors: Milo Burke (Son ? of George Thew Burke) & Catherine Burns
11 Aug 1841 Baptism of Joseph, born 1 June last of the marriage of Miles
McBride and Mary Burns Sponsors: Michael Teirnan & mother
5 May 1843 Baptism of Francis, aged 6 wks., son of Miles McBride and
Mary Burns of Bytown. Sponsors: Michael O'Connor and Catharine Tahan / Teehan
12 Nov 1853 After one publication of banns, marriage of Myles McBride,
widower of Mary Burns of Black Rapids, to Mary Madden, widower of Roger
Sheehy of Bytown. Witnesses: John Dunne & Margaret McCann.
... Ellen Paul
June 17, 2003:
My name is Gerry McBride.
I am researching my family tree and my clan comes from the Ottawa region as well,
can you tell me about Miles mcBride and his decendants? especially James. My James McBride
was married to bridget O'Day and they're in the 1851 census in Nepean.
thanks for anything you can share with me.
June 21, 2004:
Hi Anne-Marie and Mitchell,
I just found your posting of July 17, 2003 when you were
talking about looking about for McBride descendants. My grandparents, Thomas McBride
and Ellen Kealey, lived on what is now the Ottawa airport. I think this is Gloucester. (yes)
I would like to hear from you. Thanks, Barb Verner
January 13, 2005:
I have a Francis McBride in our family lineage who married Rose Ann (Swain)
born about 1846(married on May 06 1867 at Holy Cross Kemptville Mission
Church, Ontario to Francis McBride, born in Ontario about 1845 ?.
Rose Ann (Swain) Mc Bride died in June 28, 1865 buried in Holy Cross
Cemetery Kemptville next to her parents Michael & Mary Swain
( my great great grandparents). She left behind a daughter Mary McBride
born in 1868, who was brought up by Michael & Mary Swain her grandparents.
Mary McBride married 15 August 1887 to Desire Velcour / Valcour, this is all the info I have on her.
Could there be a connection to your McBride's?
February 4, 2005:
Thought I would take a peak at this McBride line and possibly I have
found a missing link to one of my Grand Father's Sister's.
15. iv. THOMAS CONWAY MCBRIDE, b. January 7, 1911, Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada; d. October 2, 1964, Whittier, California, USA 53 Years old
All I knew of my Tom C McBride was that he moved from this Ottawa Area
down to California or Florida, USA?
Two Day's ago my Uncle called to tell me he found some information,
Tom had two sister's one name Eileen who married a ? Cole the other was a
Dorothy married to a ? Roy.
If this Thomas Conway McBride is my Tom he married
Marie Louise Yvette Thomas Dit Tranchemontagne.
I do not have the marriage date and only know that Yvette was born
in Rockland Ontario supposedly died in Texas, USA. No proof of Death either for me.
Anything would help
... Cheryl Thomas
April 27, 2005:
Patrick BLANEY (ML# 90) from County Antrim
My great great grandfather Patrick Blaney had sisters Ellen Blaney and
Elizabeth Blaney of Pittsburgh township, Frontenac County Ontario, Canada. One
married a Patrick McBride and lived in Ontario, Canada in 1915. Would
this be your Patrick McBride b. 1842? Ellen or Elizabeth were born in
1846 & 1849.
thanks, Cathy Martin
Hi Cathy and all:
There was a Patrick Blaney from County Antrim who was in the Ottawa area in 1829.
He appears on the McCabe List in 1829 (ML# 90).
According to Ellen Paul's records (Hi Ellen), he was married to Anne McLean and they
had a daughter, Anne, baptized in Ottawa in 1830.
Could this be your Patrick Blaney?
Do you mind if I add your e-mail and e-mail address to our web site at www.bytown.net?
Thanks again for your e-mail.
... Al Lewis
My Patrick Blaney was b. 1845 Kingston, Ontario, Canada m. Mary Ann Mcdermott
d. Sutton, Clay, NEBRASKA (Nebraska ?). Need info on Patrick's parents and siblings, William
and Elizabeth Blaney b. 1810-1812 Cushendale, Antrim, Ireland. William and brother
John emigrated to Kingston Mills about 1840.
William and Elizabeth also had daughters Ellen and Elizabeth , one married McBride
mentioned in earlier email.
Thanks for any info. ok to post.
November 6, 2005:
Hi Anne-Marie - can you identify the McBride's in the picture that you supplied
to the Bytown or Bust website?
Also James Quinn and Ellen McBrides' six children were:
1. James Quinn b. 1895 and died 1987. Married Mary Shields and had one son
2. Annie Quinn b. 1896 and died 1964. She married John Craig and had one step-daughter Mrs.
3. Michael Quinn b. 1897 and died 1971. Married Edna Foran and had 4 sons
4. Patrick (Paddy) Quinn b. 1898 and died in 1968. Paddy never married and for most of his life
lived in Pontiac Michigan, USA.
5. Mary Quinn b. 1900 and I'm not exactly sure when she died it was between 1958 and 1964. She
married Ed Dann and they lived in Detroit Michigan. Mary and Dan (Ed?) had no children.
6. William (Billie) Quinn b. 1902 and died in 1954. Billie never married and travelled
from New York to San Francisco making a living as a chef.
Please let me know if you can identify the people in the picture on the McBride page.
... Mary Quinn
(Mary has further descendants ... Al)
July 3, 2007:
back to Patrick BLANEY, ML# 90
I googled "Canadian genealogy Blaney" and came across "Miles McBride also Patrick
Blaney". I clicked on it and near the bottom is a heading "Patrick Blaney from
County Antrim". An email dated April 27 2005 from Cathy Martin mentioning Patrick
and sisters Ellen and Elizabeth, well this is part of my family. I would like
to contact her.
my email address is email@example.com
Thanks in advance.
Note: This Patrick Blaney was Catholic and settled in the Kingston area. According
to the 1829 McCabe List he had two brothers back in County Antrim, near Balleymoney.
His brothers' names were William Connor and Edward. There were also many Protestant Blaneys
who settled in the townships to the East of Ottawa.
September 5, 2009:
My father was born in Windsor, Ontario in 1913. I believe his father was Joseph McBride
(11 Aug 1841 Baptism of Joseph, born 1 June last of the marriage of Miles McBride and
Mary Burns Sponsors: Michael Teirnan & mother).
Would love to chat with anyone who's interested.
June 7, 2010:
If you could post that I would like to get in touch with Anne-Marie Ibel about her research on the
McBrides in Ottawa, I would appreciate it. My grandparents were Thomas McBride and Ellen Kealey,
both buried in South Gloucester, Ontario.
E-mail Ellen Paul, Anne-Marie Ibell, Gerry McBride, Barb Verner, Ellenore, Cheryl, Cathy, Mary Quinn, Carol Somogyi, Donna, Barbara Verner and Al Lewis
Back to Bytown or Bust - History and Genealogy in the Ottawa area
Bytown or Bust is also on